The Raw Meat Diet: Controversial?
While growing in popularity in recent years, the jury is still out on whether or not the raw meat diet is beneficial or detrimental to a pet's health. There are many advocates on either side. Allowing your pets to consume raw organ and muscle meat, often still attached to the bone, along with fruits, and vegetables can potentially have both positive and negative effects.
Benefits of The Raw Meat Diet
- Reportedly shinier coats and healthier skin
- An increase in energy levels, particularly in older pets
- Dental health benefits for teeth and gums
- Good for digestive health, metabolism, and more comfortable passing of stools
- A favorite for pet owners who believe in natural, holistic practices, supported by evidence of the eating habits displayed by animals before they were domesticated
Negative Affects Of The Raw Meat Diet
- Bacteria found in raw meat can pose threats to pets and human members of the family
- This sort of diet is often unbalanced, not giving your pet every type of nutrient that they require to be at their best
- If bones are included in your pet's raw meat diet they pose a choking hazard or damage to the mouth or innards
- The raw meat diet is significantly more expensive than traditional pet food and therefore not a cost-effective option for most families
In the end, it is up to each individual pet owner to determine what they choose to feed their animals to insure their health and happiness. Do your research, consult your vet, and weigh the pros and cons to make the best choice for your family and your pet.